On-Demand Food Delivery App Development Cost & Features — Zomato/Swiggy Clone App.
These days, when hungry at home or work, whether daytime or mid-night munch, it is never late to hunt the food, all thanks to the online food delivery businesses. We don’t always have to worry about what to cook. Food Delivery Mobile Apps have made it easy to find and order the meal in the comfort of our own home. This could be anything from a humble cup of tea to a grand party order!
Not only the food at your doorstep, but it provides people to plan their dine-out with fancy restaurant search and table booking options in their area and has helped people get rid of so much hard work hunting good restaurants and their contact numbers and get themselves a reservation.
As the demand for food delivery apps is increasing these days, it is hard to withstand the market against the competitors. What are the USPs of top food delivery businesses? Let’s find out.
Zomato is a globally expanded food delivery service that operates in more than 20 countries which makes finding food easy and covers a million restaurants across 10,000+ cities which is a great opportunity for many restaurateurs to enter into online food business.
Zomato offers some extraordinary features like:
- Table booking — Allows users to book a table at their favorite restaurants in advance to avoid the wait time or full house.
- Exploring food places nearby — Users can explore nearby restaurants, view restaurant pictures with the location.
- Zomato Gold — Gold membership earns long term user engagement with mobile apps.
- Thus, Zomato is one stop shop for diners and offers a way for restaurants to differentiate themselves
Swiggy offers some extraordinary features like:
- Swiggy Gold allows subscribers of app users free delivery charges on orders .
- Multiple payment options.
- No minimum order value.
foodpanda came into the food business a little earlier than Swiggy in 2012. It runs the business in around 43 cities. Its headquarters are in Berlin, Germany. foodpanda has more than 40k+ restaurants worldwide serving the best to its customers. foodPanda offers exclusive deals, vouchers, and discounts throughout the year.
foodpanda offers some extraordinary features like:
- Wide range of food items in the menu
- Track food with live status
- Order food from anywhere
Grubhub offers some extraordinary features like:
- 24*7 food delivery service
- Schedule your food delivery
- No minimum cart value
Faasos started in India in 2011 and started its services in 15 cities in India like Mumbai, Banglore, Delhi, Chennai, Jaipur, Hyderabad etc. Faasos has over 1 million users across India. It also has a premium version that is called Bolt.
Faasos offers some extraordinary features like:
- 30 minutes guaranteed delivery
- Multiple payment options
- Referral bonus credits
Not to ignore the fact that the People are getting used to the comfort these food delivery businesses are providing. Apparently starting a restaurant or food delivery business has high chances of success in today’s date. If you are planning to step into the market, start first with developing the mobile app.
When you are planning to build a mobile app, what are the key features that you will look for — Technology stack? Time? Cost of development? etc.
Let’s dive into some of the important aspects of the food delivery app :
- Ideal business model of Food delivery app
- Features and cost of Food delivery app
- The technical aspects to build an app
Ideal Business Model of Food Delivery App
Online food delivery works on the on-demand business model for food. When an order is placed, a request notification to accept the order is being sent to the respective restaurants. Upon accepting the order, the nearest delivery person is assigned to it and delivery details & order status is updated to the platform partner which helps them to keep customers updated with the delivery status. Basically the food delivery platform provides a space to restaurateurs to run their businesses, the role they play is to coordinate with the third party to supply the deliverables.
Moreover, it takes care of its own logistics and has its own drivers (distribution partners).
- Restaurant Owners
- Platform Provider
- Delivery personnel
What are the features & costs to build a successful food delivery app?
- Login/Signup using Google/Social Media Accounts — Users must have an account to access the app modules. Login module provides multiple ways of logging on such as login with social media account, google account or create account.
- Find a restaurant near you — Allows you location based search restaurants.
- Place order, Apply Coupon/Discount Contact restaurants/delivery person — Users can explore restaurant menus based on the dishes, add items to cart and place an order. Users can apply promo codes or discounts to avail the benefits.
- Multiple Payment Option — Allows users to make payment online by offering multiple payment gateways.
- Track order status/delivery driver — It facilitates users to live track the order on the way of delivery with estimated time of arriving along with the driver details.
- Push Notification — It notifies users about special offers & discounts, order status notification like order acceptance, out for the delivery, order delivered etc.
- Contact Support — allows users to call or text delivery drivers, in case of any query contact customer support.
- Menu Management — Restaurants can add/update/remove their menu, price, discount.
- Order Notification & Management — Allows restaurant owners to receive notification when a customer places an order. Restaurant admin can accept/reject/manage order queue and status of order.
- Track Order Payments — view order payments, payment modes, status and amount.
- Restaurant Ratings & Feedback Management — Restaurant admins can refer to the customer feedback and ratings in order to improve service quality and business performance.
- Chat Support — restaurants can communicate with delivery partners using in-app call/chat.
- Smart Order Allocation — It optimizes delivery staffs as per their availability and location areas and assigns order deliveries.
- Order Notification & Allocation — Delivery partners will get notification as soon as the order is assigned with order details and delivery location.
- Delivery trip info — Delivery drivers can view details of order delivery location, payment details, restaurant pick-ups.
- Map navigation & Route Optimization — Drivers can navigate the optimized delivery routes on google map before starting the trip.
- Contact Customers — Delivery staff can call/text customers in case of location or order related query .
- Start/End Delivery — Drivers can update delivery trip status to start/end trips.
- Admin Dashboard — Personalized dashboard for summary of all important statistics to help with quick track of progress.
- Restaurant Management — Admin can add/update/remove restaurants from the list.
- Order Summary — Admin can track all orders as per date, restaurants, payment status, details, reviews and ratings etc.
- Analytics & Reports — Admin can review the analytics and generate custom reports with required parameters.
- User & Rights management — Admin can manage user rights and module access based on defined roles.
- Payment Gateway — Allows admin to add/remove/manage payment methods.
The technical aspects to build an app
- Trendy but clean UI/UX
- Easy to navigate user flow
- Secure Payment gateway
- 24x7 Customer Support
- Ratings & Reviews
What is the cost of building an app like Zomato?
If you are planning to launch on both platforms iOS and Android with all the advanced features like restaurant table booking, real time tracking, pick-up order etc… The cost depends on the following critical factors :
- App platform
For your information here are a few ballpark estimates :
- Basic food delivery apps with simple features of UX/UI and basic functionality can cost up to $6000-$1000 for development only.
- Food ordering apps with advanced features like custom UX/UI, tables support added, payment gateway integration, social media integration, navigator, push notifications etc can range anything in between $15000-$20000.
- Complex food delivery apps include audio/video processing, real-time tracker enabled, custom graphics, third-party APIs integrations, server backed with multiple databases, and more costing anything above $35000.